JECKYLL ISLAND, GA. :  In 1886, a group of Northern millionaires bought the whole island as a hunting preserve and winter retreat. They built a 60-room clubhouse in the American Queen Anne style, to which they added private cottages, bicycle paths, tennis courts and golf courses. For half a century, this was the place in the sun for some of the richest and most powerful families in America, including the Astors, Cornings, Cuttings, Goodyears, Goulds, Lorillards, Macys, Morgans, Pulitzers, Rockefellers and Vanderbilts. The Club flourished into the 1930‘s. World War 1, the Great Depression, and the ordered evacuation of the island during World War 11 added to the demise of the Club. In 1947 the State of Georgia bought the island and it fell into disrepair. In 1978, the clubhouse, annex, Sans Souci, the nearby cottages and the 240 acres around them were designated a National Historic Landmark District and restoration work began in 1985. Rick Rothrock restored the plaster frieze work in the Grand Dining Room as well as the beading decoration surrounding the 10’ high mirrors. He also restored/ recarved many of the broken column tops.